Somerset County Council

Apply to close a road or right of way for works


We manage road closures under the Road Traffic Regulation Act.

Contact us if you would like to close a road for works or safety reasons, or you can apply for a road closure using the button below. 

Apply now

Any member of the public, or any company or contractor can apply to close the road to allow works or for safety reasons.

You can find out how to apply to place temporary traffic lights on the road here

There are 3 steps to closing a road:

  1. Administration - When we receive the application, we check that the information supplied is complete and that we have received payment. We carry out a desktop study to assess the closure and possible diversion routes. We contact the emergency services and communicate the closure, including newspaper advertisements at key stages during the road closure. 
  2. Signage maintained - The diversion route signs must be maintained for the duration of the road closure. This is carried out by the company conducting the works, but is monitored by our team.
  3. When completed - The whole signage for the works and diversion must be removed when the works have finished. This is done by the company that closed the road, and we check to make sure it is done.   

Road Space Booking – Please remember that in addition to the application to close a road for works, you need a valid road space booking. If there is no valid road space booking then your application may be declined. This road space booking may take the form of a Streetworks EToN notice, Section 50 licence, Section 278, Section 171, Section 184 agreement or Skip or scaffold application.

Please follow the instructions on the application form.

Apply for a temporary closure of a public right of way 

It is sometimes necessary to close a public right of way temporarily for development, forestry operations or maintaining utilities. Wherever possible an alternative route should be provided. 

We will process your application and may contact you if we need more information. 

The normal time from requesting an application to receiving a granted order is approximately 3 months. But this may take longer at busy times.

The Road Closure Application - Guidance Notes give the current pricing, which is subject to change by administration and legislative changes.  

We expect payment to be made at the same time as the application is submitted so that we can ensure advertising deadlines are met.

‘Apply now’ online is not currently available for public rights of way closures so please visit Apply for a temporary closure of a right of way for the application form.  Cheques to be made payable to Somerset County Council.

Laws and regulation

  • The Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, Sections 14 and 15 as amended by the Road Traffic (Temporary Restrictions) Act 1991

  • The Road Traffic (Temporary Restrictions) Procedure Regulations 1992 (SI 1992/1215)

  • The New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 Section 76 and 77

The quality of workmanship will be monitored as guided by the New Roads and Streetworks Act 1991 (as amended by the Traffic Management Act 2004) and associated Codes of Practice.

General information
Other forms of closure

  • For certain types of events, for example parades and processions, you can apply to your district council for a road closure.

  • Permanent road closures: In certain cases it may be possible for a member of public to apply to us for a Stopping Up Order to remove the highway rights and therefore close the road to the public. This is done through the Magistrates Court and the applicant must bear the cost of the application, including all legal fees. 

Nightworks will usually take place between 7pm and 7am, although this can vary for specific jobs.

Although vehicular access may be restricted for a maximum of 8 hours (in any 24 hours) and pedestrian access must be maintained throughout the closure period, the contractor will provide you with advance warning two weeks before the planned works. If you have any questions about the closure, please contact the contractor or company conducting the works.

If you own a business affected by a road closure there is no legal obligation or express statutory authority that enables us to compensate for increased costs or any financial loss suffered as a result of the road closure. If your property or business is affected by the closure, the applicant for the road closure should have made you aware that an application was being made.

If the works have been completed and signs, including diversion route signs, have been left please contact us to arrange for their collection.


Contact: Streetworks 
Address: Somerset County Council, County Hall, Taunton, Somerset, TA1 4DY
Phone: 0300 123 2224
Customer Contact Opening Hours: Monday 8am to 6pm, Tuesday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.
Streetworks opening hours: Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm, Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm, Saturday and Sunday closed.

» Indicates required fields

Feedback form
Was this information helpful? »